Thursday, February 17, 2011

ISLAND A WEEK: Aegean Collection - MILOS

My AEGEAN COLLECTION features rings and pendants that have been inspired by the light and color of my beloved Greek Islands. These pieces are mixed media jewelry, where each piece has a ceramic shard as its focal. For each ring or pendant, I have completed the ceramic shard in a different way, using different materials and techniques such as metal (aluminium or copper) sheet, copper wire, polymer clay and acrylic paints.
Each piece of my Aegean Collection is named after a different island, so I thought I'd introduce them one by one! Welcome to the wonderful world of the Greek Islands of the Aegean!!!
Here is a beautiful and complete website about the Greek Islands:
http://www.greek-islands.us/

MILOS (Greek Μήλος) is a volcanic Greek island in the Aegean Sea, just north of the Sea of Crete. Milos is the southwesternmost island in the Cyclades group, and it is located between Serifos, Sifnos and Folegandros. The island is famous for the statue of Aphrodite (the "Venus de Milo", now in the Louvre), and also for statues of the Greek god Asclepius (now in the British Museum) and the Poseidon and an archaic Apollo now in Athens. Milos is considered one of the most beautiful Greek Islands and it is unique for its astonishing lunar landscape which creates unbelievable and imposing rocky formations coloured in deep red, brown or glimmering white. Milos has been only recently discovered by tourism, and its typical white-washed Cycladic villages, a wonderful sea, dozens of uncontaminated beaches and a peaceful atmosphere make it a real dream Island.









More islands in this series:
LEROS
PATMOS
KARPATHOS
LIPSI
NISYROS
KALYMNOS
TILOS
KOS
TINOS
PAROS

13 comments:

anta said...

Lovely post Annuk!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi my dearest Anna:) Thank you for the informative post and the gorgeous images! The Milos pendant is beautiful!!! I really love the tone of that soft blue!
I'm sure its owner is very happy with it!
Your previous post was the cutest EVER!!! I had to mention it here too, lol!:)
Hugs,
M.

Carrie said...

You aren't making it any easier to decide where I need to visit first - oh lordy another piece of heaven!!! x

Annuk said...

Thank you my lovely friends :)!!!
Glad you enjoyed one more dream island :)!

creationsbyeve said...

I've been to Melos more than once, it's a fantastic island!!!The pendant is smashing!!

SilverLinesJewelry said...

Oh my!!!Now I know where I want to go this summer!!!
Wonderful post!

Annuk said...

Eyxaristo poly koritsakia :)!!!!

OnePerfectDay said...

Wow!!

Annuk said...

:)))))))))

pantarei said...

My dearest cousin!
Your beautiful perfectly pendant matches the amazing beautiful island as Milos!
it reminds me of the deep blue of its sea and the white -silver of Sarakiniko rocks !!!

well done Annuk dearest!!!
xoxoxo

Annuk said...

Thank you my sweetest cousin :)!!!!
xoxoxo

susy said...

Gorgeous Pendant & you did a wonderful job bringing the world closer to beautiful Milos! Truly your appreciation of our beautiful Aegean Sea is shown in this creation!

Annuk said...

Thank you so much, Susy :)!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...